Women's Team

Stourbridge 7-2 Albion Women

An image of Albion Women against Stourbridge

Albion Women fell to their first defeat in four matches when they were beaten by Stourbridge at the Memorial Ground on Wednesday night.

Head coach Siobhan Hodgetts-Still made five changes to the side that drew with AFC Fylde. Ashlee Brown came in for Lizzie Bennett-Steele and Hayley Crackle replaced Lucy Newell in defence. Abi Loydon was preferred to Kate Evans in midfield, whilst Delphi Cole and Jannelle Straker were handed starts after impressive substitute performances last weekend.

The Baggies took an early lead when Hayley Crackle’s powerful free-kick from deep was met by captain Hannah George, who glanced the ball into the net.

A competitive spell midway through the half was rounded off with a Stourbridge equaliser, though, as they won the ball in the six-yard area and Ellie Butler was there to tap home.

It was an eventful five minutes and soon the home side’s high-pressing proved effective yet again, this time Niamh Deasy slotted past Jones from just inside the penalty box.

Stourbridge grabbed a third following the break, Deasy earned her brace as she poked the ball into the top corner from a cutback.

The game continued in topsy-turvy fashion - Isabel Green reacted quickest to a free-kick and looped the ball over the goalkeeper and into the net to give Albion a chance heading into a crucial final half hour.

However, the home side scored a fourth via Senna Robinson after a melee in the penalty area, before adding another just minutes later. Hannah Fishwick forced the ball over the line – and further late goals from Jade Clarke and Zoe Grove sealed Stourbridge’s triumph.

The Baggies are next in action in the Birmingham FA County Cup against Leafield Athletic on Sunday, October 15 at Albion's Academy.

Albion: Jones, Brown (Bennett-Steele 73’), Crackle, Green, George, Orthodoxou, Loydon, Warner (Mahmood 78’), Rabjohn, Straker (Jhamat 57’), Cole.

Substitutes: Miller, Evans.