PL2 Report | Albion 0-3 Manchester United

Harry Whitwell battles for the ball with a Manchester United player during the PL2 clash at The Hawthorns

Albion's PL2 side suffered a 0-3 defeat against Manchester United at The Hawthorns on Monday night.

The visitors had a two-goal advantage at the break after Aaron Harper-Bailey turned the ball into his own net and striker Ethan Ennis converted from close range.

United added a third shortly after the hour-mark through Charlie McNeill, a strike which secured all three points and handed the Baggies a first defeat since the middle of February. 

Deago Nelso having a shot against Manchester United during a PL2 clash at The Hawthorns
Photo credit | Gareth Evans Photography

Albion had the first opportunity of the night. A whipped ball in from the right was met by striker Jovan Malcolm, but his header drifted wide of the far post.

But it was United who struck first after 17 minutes in the West Midlands. The visitors broke away down the right and a ball fizzed across the face of goal was diverted in beyond Ben Cisse in the Baggies net by defender Aaron Harper-Bailey. 

Moments later, Cisse stood up tall to deny Toby Collyer after the midfielder had been played through one-on-one with the stopper. 

Richard Beale's men came agonisingly close to equalising on the half-hour mark. Eseosa Sule's dipping effort from distance came back off the bar, before full-back Deago Nelson was thwarted not once, but twice by Red Devils goalkeeper Elyh Harrison. 

Manchester United made the hosts pay for those missed chances eight minutes from the end of the first 45. McNeill put the ball on a plate for Ennis to guide home from the edge of the six-yard box. 

Several Albion and Man United PL2 players jump for the ball in the box as a cross is delivered
Photo credit | Gareth Evans Photography

Albion were energetic and adventurous in the early stages of the second half, but sadly, were unable to force Harrison into any saves.

United grew back into the contest and added a third when McNeill spun away on the halfway line, raced clear on goal and lifted the ball over Cisse 23 minutes from the end.

The away team controlled large parts of the latter stages and restricted Albion to very few final-third entries.

ALBION: Cisse, Nelson, Hall N. Phillips (81), Harper-Bailey, Shaw, Richards, Mfuamba (Deeming 76), Whitwell, Heard (Kirton 81), Sule (Higgins 63), Malcolm.

Subs: Foster (GK).

  • PL2
  • Academy