Club News

Sheffield Wednesday v Albion match highlights

FREE-TO- highlights of Albion's dramatic 2-2 draw at Sheffield Wednesday.

iFollow subscribers can watch ten-minute extented highlights at

HARVEY Barnes' stunning late impact earned a dramatic 2-2 draw at Sheffield Wednesday and extended Albion's unbeaten sequence in the Sky Bet Championship to six matches.

The 20-year-old forward ran solo from his own half, holding off the attentions of four Owls defenders, before slotting home a special 87th-minute equaliser to claim a share of the spoils at Hillsborough.

That came just 60 seconds after he battled for the crucial touch to get the Baggies, who found themselves 2-0 down with five minutes to play, back in the game, with the close-range strike eventually credited as as Joey Pelupessy own goal.

Adam Reach had earlier put Wednesday ahead with a stunning 30-yard strike into the top corner midway through the first half before Fernando Forestieri doubled the hosts' advantage just before the interval.

The late point means Darren Moore's side, who hit the crossbar through Dwight Gayle in the first period, remain unbeaten in the league since late August and have now taken 14 points from the last 18 on offer.

Captain Chris Brunt, the sole change from Saturday's victory at Preston, went close with a free-kick after 16 minutes amid an open start to proceedings.

Forestieri tested Sam Johnstone at the other end before Gayle saw penalty appeals waved away following a challenge by Michael Hector in the area.

And the decision proved crucial as, within a minute, Reach left fly with a long-range effort into the top corner which left Johnstone with no chance.

Reach, building a growing reputation for impressive strikes, sent a half-volley off target just after 30 minutes.

The Owls were indebted to Cameron Dawson for a super one-handed save to deny Tyrone Mears and, as was the case with the first goal, a key incident at one end went on to have an immediate impact at the other.

The hosts broke out wide and a defensive mix-up saw Craig Dawson flick on Matt Penney's cross and inadvertedly find Forestieri, who slammed home from six yards.

Gayle almost reduced the arrears before the break but saw his ferocious strike cannon back off the crossbar.

Albion flew out of the traps at the start of the second half in search of a route back into the encounter but could not find a way through.

Forestieri went close for the Owls, firing wide when faced with just Johnstone to beat, before then testing the Baggies keeper with a low strike. 

Darren Moore made a triple substitution after 65 minutes, turning to Hal Robson-Kanu, Gareth Barry and Wes Hoolahan.

And it was Barry who almost reduced the arrears, firing narrowly wide, as Albion pressed for a lifeline.

They eventually got it in the 86th minute, Barnes battling with Pelupessy to be first to connect with Brunt's driven cross to turn the ball home - giving the travelling faithful a glimmer of hope.

And their support was rewarded just a minute later as the Baggies levelled the scores.

Again it was Barnes who proved crucial, weaving his way through Wednesday defenders before cutting in and drilling past Dawson - a quite sensational goal.

A manic seven minutes of stoppage time followed but the points were shared in South Yorkshire.

ALBION: Johnstone, Dawson, Hegazi, Bartley, Mears (Barry 65), Livermore, Brunt (c), Gibbs, Barnes, Rodriguez (Robson-Kanu 65), Gayle (Hoolahan 65).

Subs: Myhill, Adarabioyo, Field, Edwards.

  • Home