Club News

Albion 2 AFC Bournemouth 1

Eighth-placed Baggies on 40 points from 26 matches

  • King pen puts Cherries in front (5)
  • Dawson's first of season levels matters (10) 
  • McAuley's sixth of campaign seals points (22)
  • Attendance: 24,162
  • Albion Star Man: Jake Livermore
IN-FORM Albion came from behind to see off AFC Bournemouth 2-1 and record a seventh victory in their last eight Premier league matches at The Hawthorns.

Joshua King's fifth-minute penalty was quickly cancelled out by Craig Dawson's first goal of the season, a deflected strike from 25 yards, before Gareth McAuley smashed home from close range to record his sixth in the league this term.

Ben Foster came to the rescue twice in injury time, producing fantastic fingertip saves to deny Lys Mousset and Tyrone Mings.

The turnaround moved Tony Pulis' eighth-placed side on to 40 points from 26 matches - having lost just one of their previous eight in the top flight.

The only sour note of the afternoon came as Dawson was forced off in the second half having suffered a nasty clash of heads, with the defender later given the all clear post-match.

Albion went into the game having beaten every current side in the Premier League apart from the Cherries, losing two and drawing one of their three prior meetings.

And having taken an early lead in each of their last three matches, the Baggies fell behind after just five minutes, King slotting home from the spot after Allan Nyom was penalised for tussling with Ryan Fraser.

Chris Brunt went close for the Baggies soon after while Adam Smith did likewise at the other end, before Pulis' side drew level in the 10th minute - Dawson's long-range strike taking a deflection off Charlie Daniels and flying past Artur Boruc.

And it was left for McAuley to complete the comeback midway through the first half when he capitalised on Boruc's failed punch from Brunt's corner to fire home from close range.

Salomon Rondon was twice sent crashing to the floor when in promising positions, first by Steve Cook and then by Mings, but referee Mark Clattenburg waved away Albion protestations.

Nacer Chadli thought he had nodded home a third goal shortly after the break only to see his header ruled out, with Dawson subsequently forced off due to a clash of heads with Mings in the build-up.

James McClean was introduced off the bench before he was also joined by Claudio Yacob, James Morrison the man to make way.

There was late drama as the Cherries pushed for a stoppage-time equaliser but Foster pulled off two spectacular acrobatic saves to deny long-range shots from Mousset and Mings. 

Albion: Foster; Dawson (McClean 40), McAuley, Evans, Nyom; Livermore, Fletcher (c); Chadli (Field 87), Morrison (Yacob 73), Brunt; Rondon.

Subs: Myhill; Olsson, Robson-Kanu, Leko.

BOOKED: Nyom (foul, 49), McClean (foul, 69)

Bournemouth: Boric, Smith, Cook, Mings, Daniels, Arter (Afobe 66), Surmman (c), Fraser, Wilshere (Gosling 66), Pugh (Mousset 79), King.

Subs: Allsop, Gradel, Smith, Stanislas.

Referee: Mark Clattenburg (Durham)