Club News

Albion 4 Burnley 0

Albion's biggest Premier League win since Feb 2012

DOMINANT Albion registered their third victory in the space of eight days with a comprehensive 4-0 triumph over Burnley at The Hawthorns.

Having seen off Tottenham at White Hart Lane last Sunday and then Hull in the Capital One Cup in midweek, Alan Irvine’s side recorded back-to-back Barclays Premier League wins for the first time in 12 months.

And they did so in style.

Craig Dawson got things started on the half-hour mark, heading home captain Chris Brunt’s corner to register his first Baggies goal in what was his 38th appearance – coming against the side who courted his signature in the summer.

Saido Berahino doubled the advantage on the stroke of the interval, nodding home James Morrison's corner from close range to cap a one-sided first half which saw the hosts enjoy 11 shots and nine corners.

And, with the second period continuing in the same vein as the first, the England Under-21 striker bagged his second of the afternoon and fifth of the season in the 56th minute, rifling home a low effort after being sent clear by Graham Dorrans.

The Scot then got in on the act himself late on with a deserved goal, connecting first time with substitute Cristian Gamboa's low cross.

It capped a superb performance from Albion, who scored four times against a Clarets side who entered the game on the back of three successive clean sheets.

Head coach Irvine named an unchanged starting XI from the one which defeated Spurs.

Former Baggies man Steven Reid, meanwhile, lined up in a defensive midfield role for Burnley having swapped the Black Country for Lancashire over the summer.

It was the hosts who were first to go close after an opening period full of neat passing approach play, Brunt seeing his shot deflect off Michael Duff and into the side-netting with goalkeeper Tom Heaton stranded.

Berahino pulled an effort narrowly wide after 19 minutes, before Heaton was forced to get down low to his near post to keep out Craig Gardner’s drive.

Albion’s dominance became greater as the first half wore on, Jason Shackell heading out for a corner from underneath his own crossbar.

And it was from the resulting set-piece that Dawson opened the scoring, rising at the back post to convert Brunt’s corner.

The Baggies skipper himself went close just before the break, before Dorrans’ rifled effort from distance was tipped over by Heaton.

And, from yet another corner before the interval - Morrison with the delivery this time, Irvine’s charges doubled their lead as Dorrans’ flick-on was met by the head of Berahino from close range.

Berahino only had to wait 11 second-half minutes to double his tally for the afternoon, converting a drilled low finish beyond Heaton after being sent clear.

Ben Foster was called upon to keep out Lukas Jutkiewicz’s header, while great work from Dorrans almost led to a Baggies fourth at the other end. 

Yet he did not have to wait long to get his name on the scoresheet, firing home from Gamboa's low right-wing cross.

It all meant Albion ran out convincing winners winners in the first-ever Premier League meeting between the two sides, extending their unbeaten run over Burnley at The Hawthorns to 10 matches stretching back to 1969.

Albion: Foster, Wisdom, Lescott, Dawson, Pocognoli (Gamboa 82'), Dorrans, Morrison, Gardner (Yacob 87'), Brunt, Sessegnon (Samaras 74’), Berahino.
Subs: Myhill (gk), McAuley, Mulumbu, Blanco.

GOALS: Dawson (30’), Berahino 45+1, 56’), Dorrans (90)

BOOKED: Dorrans (unsporting behaviour 75’)

Burnley: Heaton; Trippier, Shackell, Duff, Mee; Arfield, Wallace (Chalobah 45’), Reid (Barnes 45’), Kightly; Boyd; Jutkiewicz (Sordell 67’).
Subs: Gilks (gk), Ward, Keane, Long.

BOOKED: Chalobah (foul 47’)

Referee: Jonathan Moss (West Riding)

Attendance: 24,286

Albion star man: Saido Berahino