Slaven Bilić’s Baggies are back at The Hawthorns on Wednesday evening to take on Sky Bet League Two side Harrogate Town in the Carabao Cup (ko 6pm).
Their last outing
At the weekend, Harrogate Town got off to the perfect start in their first ever game in the English Football League, as they comfortably beat Southend United 4-0 on the road.
Jack Muldoon put the visitors ahead before Lloyd Kerry extended their advantage just before the break. Aaron Martin hit a third on the hour mark and Muldoon added his second and Harrogate’s fourth nine minutes later.
In the dugout
Harrogate Town are managed by Simon Weaver, who became their player-manager in 2009, shortly after his father, Irving Weaver, became chairman.
The 42-year-old has taken Harrogate to their highest-ever position in English football and has managed more than 500 games for them.
One to watch
Jack Muldoon fired in 14 league goals in Harrogate’s promotion-winning season and scored a brace in his first game of the season against Southend.
The 31-year-old was part of Lincoln City’s remarkable 2016/17 FA Cup run which saw them beat Ipswich Town, Brighton & Hove Albion and Burnley to reach the quarter-finals where they were beaten by Arsenal.
He has spent much of his career in non-league football, although he played three times for Rochdale in League One in 2014.
- Albion haven’t been knocked out of the League Cup at The Hawthorns by a team playing lower than the top-two tiers of English football since losing the second leg at home of a two-legged tie against Colchester United in 1996/97.
- 2016/17 was the last time the Baggies bowed out of the League Cup to opponents that weren’t in the top-two tiers of English football.
- Under Slaven Bilić, all of Albion’s cup wins have been by a 1-0 deficit. Last season, the Throstles knocked Charlton Athletic and West Ham United out of the Emirates FA Cup.
- The game will be the first time Harrogate have ever played a side currently in the Premier League.
- This will be the first time Albion have ever played Harrogate.
- If Harrogate forward Jon Stead plays, it will be his 12th game against Albion, for a sixth different club. He has never scored against the Baggies, but has been involved in four wins, four draws and three losses in his 11 games against the Throstles.
Our man to watch
Charlie Austin was on the bench for Albion’s league opener against Leicester but could get some minutes under his belt on Wednesday.
Last season he scored against Millwall in this competition, which was the first of his 11 goals in all competitions for the Baggies.
Read all about it
You can get your hands on the Harrogate edition of the Baggies' matchday programme Albion News here.
Alternatively, you can sign up for a season subscription of Albion News here.
Follow the game
Gez Mulholland will be joined by once midfield-now-microphone maestro Andy Johnson to provide proudly partisan commentary and an expert insight for WBA Radio.
To listen live to Baggies-biased commentary on WBA Radio for free for every home and away match during the 2020/21 season all you have to do is sign up for a free My Albion account.
If you haven't already you can create your My Albion account here. Click Create Account or register quickly with your Facebook or Google account.
Live commentary starts from 15 minutes before kick-off and will be accessible through the live match centre or WBA TV.
If you have any issues registering or accessing your My Albion account please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.