Women's Team

AFC Fylde 2-2 Albion Women

Siobhan Hodgetts-Still.

Albion Women made it a third straight game undefeated in all competitions with a 2-2 draw against AFC Fylde Women at Kellamergh Park on Sunday.

Head coach Siobhan Hodgetts-Still made two changes to the side that secured progression in the FA Women’s National League Cup last weekend, Lizzie Bennett-Steele came in for Taylor Reynolds at right-back, whilst captain Hannah George returned to the XI in place of Ash Brown.

The Baggies began the game in bright fashion and saw their first chance of the game come from a corner, as returning skipper George tried to divert a Lucy Newell header goalwards but her effort went just wide of the post.

It was Fylde who picked up the pace of the game, they were driven forwards by left-sided midfielder Lily Murphy, who cut inside before forcing a superb reflex save from Lucy Jones with a powerful effort.

Murphy again caused the Albion defence problems, as she was played in behind with a lofted through pass, but made no mistake this time with the finish – blasting her effort over Lucy Jones to give the Coasters the advantage.


However, the Baggies were keen to level the score and almost managed just that when Phoebe Warner cleverly crafted a pocked of space down the right-hand side, before cutting back for Steph Weston who couldn’t direct her effort goalwards.

As the two teams returned for the second half, Albion began with a renewed vigour and scored just two minutes in as Olivia Rabjohn slalomed her way into the box and hit a curling shot into the top left corner.

The boss opted for two changes just before the hour mark with second-time debutant Delphi Cole introduced along with forward Jannelle Straker.

Not long after, it was that substitution that proved to be an inspired one, as Straker won the ball from the Fylde defence high up the field, found herself space just outside the box and unleashed a shot into the top right corner leaving the goalkeeper stranded.

However, Albion’s lead didn’t last long as Ginny Lackey turned on the centre circle and hit an audacious effort which went over goalkeeper Jones and into the back of the net.

In the final passage of the game, the Baggies won a penalty late on as Phoebe Warner was fouled inside the area, unfortunately for Hodgetts-Still’s side they couldn’t convert the penalty as Fran Orthodoxou’s effort crashed against the crossbar.

Albion: Jones, Bennett-Steele (Brown 61’), Green, Newell, George, Evans, Orthodoxou, Rabjohn (Dudley-Jones 71’), Warner, Mahmood (Straker 61’), Weston (Cole 61’).

Subs not used: Miller