Match Reports

Everton v Albion match report

ALBION claimed a deserved point from a 1-1 draw against Everton at Goodison Park.

Jay Rodriguez handed the Baggies a seventh-minute lead courtesy of a cool finish, his sixth goal of the season, before Toffees substitute Oumar Niasse levelled in the second half.

It ensured Albion were forced to settle for a point from the Premier League encounter, extending their unbeaten run to three matches in all competitions with just one defeat in their last six.

Both teams wore black armbands and held a minute's applause, along with the 39,061 present, in tribute to Baggies legend and icon Cyrille Regis, who sadly passed away this week.

It was Albion, like they did in the victory over Brighton & Hove Albion last weekend, who got off to a dream start.

Grzegorz Krychowiak, having seconds earlier sent a good chance off target, threaded a perfect throughball for Rodriguez to race on to and slot home across Jordan Pickford.

Chris Brunt's teasing cross evaded everyone and flew narrowly wide of the far post, before Everton's first shot on goal came in the 38th minute, Jonjoe Kenny testing Ben Foster.

Salomon Rondon headed off target from Brunt's corner just before the break as Albion led at half-time.

The second half was little more than 10 minutes old when James McCarthy was seriously injured in making a last-ditch challenge to deny Rondon, who was visibly upset in the aftermath of the accidental collision which forced the Toffees midfielder off on a stretcher.

Everton introduced Niasse in the 69th minute and the striker quickly made an impact, converting Theo Walcott's cushioned back-post header from Wayne Rooney's cross.

Krychowiak was denied from distance and Matt Phillips could not convert the rebound, before Foster saved well from Walcott's volley at the other end.

The encounter went from end to end as it entered the final 10 minutes, Phillips and Rondon both going close in between an effort from Everton substitute Yannick Bolasie.

Salomon Rondon came agonisingly close to a sensational winner in the fifth of seven minutes stoppage time, but he saw his 25 yard strike hit the crossbar and bounce to safety.

It meant neither side could find a winner on Merseyside and the points were shared.

ALBION: Foster, Dawson, Hegazi, Evans (c) (McAuley 80), Gibbs, Phillips, Barry, Krychowiak, Brunt (Livermore 79), Rodriguez (McClean 79), Rondon.

Subs: Myhill, Nyom, Field, Robson-Kanu.

  • Home