Match Reports

Burnley v Albion

HAL Robson-Kanu came off the bench to become an Albion match-winner and maintain the club's 100 per cent start to the new Premier League campaign.

But Robson-Kanu’s moment of joy was soured seven minutes from time when he was red carded for an aerial challenge on Burnley defender Matthew Lowton.

Robson-Kanu added another gem to his collection of memorable Albion impacts with the 71st-minute goal which decided a tough and tense contest played throughout a blustery Turf Moor wind.

The Baggies, who triumphed over AFC Bournemouth on the opening day, then held off Burnley’s efforts to secure victory in their opening two matches of a top-flight campaign for the first time since 1978/79 - and also leave their defence yet to be breached.

Head Coach Tony Pulis had his problems to deal with in fashioning this victory.

Claudio Yacob was ruled out by a hamstring injury, joining Jonny Evans, James Morrison and Gareth McAuley on the sidelines, with Pulis handing an immediate debut to new recruit Gareth Barry.

There was a second successive start, too, for teenager Sam Field as the Baggies battled their way through the opening half with relatively few alarms.

They did receive a let-off when Ben Mee headed wide at point-blank range from a Robbie Brady corner but otherwise Ben Foster’s only other moment of concern was in holding a Johann Berg Gudmundsson header, again from Brady’s service.

Albion started the second half in the ascendancy and immediately had the ball in the net from a Jake Livermore effort only for the England midfielder to be kept waiting for his first Baggies goal by an offside flag.

And after bringing on Robson-Kanu for James McClean midway through, the Baggies got the breakthrough as Matt Phillips provided the support for the Wales international, who powered through two challenges before beating Tom Heaton.

But Robson-Kanu left the Baggies with 10 men to see through to the final whistle when he was adjudged to have led with his arm into a challenge on Lowton.

  • Home