Youngsters head to defending champions first
ALBION’s fixtures for the 2016/17 Under-18 Premier League season have been released.
The Baggies youngsters, who will compete in the North Group alongside 11 other clubs, travel to defending champions Manchester City on the opening weekend – Saturday, August 13 (ko 11am).
Jamie Smith’s men then have back-to-back home games against Newcastle United and Derby County respectively, before returning to Manchester for a clash with United on Saturday, September 10 (ko 11am).
Albion’s final fixture of the regular season sees Everton visit the training ground on Saturday, February 18 (ko 11.30am).
The 2016/17 Under-18 Premier League will take place under the following criteria:
- 24 clubs compete, with each of the clubs having applied for Category One status. There are nine clubs from the Premier League and 15 from the Championship.
- The 24 clubs are split into two regional groups, the North Group and the South Group.
- Clubs will play each opposing team in their regional group twice, home and away.
- For the final stage, all the teams will be separated into three groups.
- The top four teams from each region go into Group 1 in the final stage. Group 2 will consist of the teams placed fifth to eighth from the north and south. The bottom four clubs from each region go into Group 3.
- In the final stage, clubs will play each opposing team in their own group once.
- The winners of Group 1 will become the Under-18 Premier League champions.
- Clubs are not allowed to field any outfield players outside the Under-18 age category. However, the goalkeeper is permitted to come from the Under-19 age category.
The 12 clubs in the North Group of the Under-18 Premier League are Blackburn Rovers, Derby County, Everton, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United, Middlesbrough, Newcastle United, Sunderland, Stoke City, West Bromwich Albion and Wolverhampton Wanderers.
The 12 clubs in the South Group of the Under-18 Premier League are Arsenal, Aston Villa, Brighton & Hove Albion, Chelsea, Fulham, Leicester City, Norwich City, Reading, Southampton, Swansea City, Tottenham Hotspur and West Ham United.
Albion’s 2016/17 Under-18 Premier League fixtures in full can be found below.
Saturday, August 13, 2016 – Manchester City (A), 11am
Saturday, August 20, 2016 – Newcastle United (H), 11am
Saturday, August 27, 2016 – Derby County (H), 11am
Saturday, September 10, 2016 – Manchester United (A), 11am
Saturday, September 17, 2016 – Sunderland (H), 11am
Saturday, September 24, 2016 – Wolverhampton Wanderers (A), 11am
Saturday, October 1, 2016 – Blackburn Rovers (H), 11.30am
Saturday, October 15, 2016 – Liverpool (A), 11am
Saturday, October 22, 2016 – Stoke City (H), 11am
Saturday, October 29, 2016 – Middlesbrough (H), 1pm
Saturday, November 5, 2016 – Everton (A), 11.30am
Saturday, November 19, 2016 – Newcastle United (A), 11am
Saturday, November 26, 2016 – Manchester City (H), 12pm
Saturday, December 3, 2016 – Sunderland (A), 11am
Saturday, December 10, 2016 – Manchester United (H), 11.30am
Saturday, January 7, 2017 – Derby County (A), 11am
Saturday, January 14, 2017 – Wolverhampton Wanderers (H), 11am
Saturday, January 21, 2017 – Blackburn Rovers (A), 12pm
Saturday, January 28, 2017 – Stoke City (A), 11am
Saturday, February 4, 2017 – Liverpool (H), 12pm
Saturday, February 11, 2017 – Middlesbrough (A), 1pm
Saturday, February 18, 2017 – Everton (H), 11.30am