Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Campbell’s late show hands Under-21s win

11 May 2015

Baggies victorious in final home fixture

TAHVON Campbell bagged a late brace as Albion Under-21s defeated Newcastle 3-2 in their final home fixture of the season.

It was the Roberts show in the first-half as Tyler Roberts gave Baggies the lead, only for Callum Roberts to equalise for the visiting side.

Substitute Tavhon Campbell hit two quickfire goals late on to seal the three points, despite a late scare when Dan Barlaser curled home a superb free-kick in injury time.

The hosts had the first chance of the game after ten minutes when Adil Nabi headed Josh Ezewele’s inviting cross just wide of the far post.

Newcastle then went close through Callum Roberts who saw his curling shot land just over the crossbar.

The deadlock was broken in the 26th minute as Tyler Roberts fired through the legs of Magpies’ ‘keeper Brendan Pearson from 15-yards, after being played in by Josh Ezewele.

But the visitors hit back just five minutes later when Callum Roberts’ 25-yard drive fizzed into the bottom corner, leaving Baggies’ ‘keeper Alex Palmer rooted to the spot.

And the away side could have taken the lead four minutes before the break had Dan Barlaser’s free-kick curled an extra inch to the left.

Albion goalscorer Tyler Roberts almost restored his side’s lead after 56 minutes, but Pearson thwarted his attempt from 15-yards with his feet.

The Baggies again went close shortly after the hour-mark when Adil Nabi’s snap-shot from 30-yards was inches away from landing in the top corner.

Newcastle’s Liam Smith was next to try his luck on 73 minutes, but he bent his free-kick from 30-yards past Palmer’s right-hand post.

The visitors went in search of a winner and they almost found it nine minutes from time, but Palmer made a fine save down low to his right to deny Callum Roberts.

It proved to be a vital stop from Palmer, because just five minutes later Albion substitute Tahvon Campbell poked home from close-range to give his side a late lead.

The victory was then secured 90 seconds later when the same man placed the ball past the on-rushing Pearson and into the empty net.

Newcastle gave themselves a glimmer of hope in injury time when Dan Barlaser curled home a brilliant free-kick, but it proved too little too late as James Shan’s men hung on.

Albion’s match-winner Tahvon Campbell was delighted to come on and score the goals which fired his side to a triumph over their north east opponents.

He said: “The feeling was great coming on and then scoring two goals late on.

“It felt amazing to come on and play a part for the team and show what I can do in front of goal.

“It feels good to finish off our home campaign with two goals and a win.

“I enjoyed my second goal, it was a cheeky one as I placed it past the keeper and showed good movement in behind to get myself into a goalscoring position.”

Albion: Palmer, Ezewele, Fitzwater, Howkins, Garmston, Cleet (Edwards 63’), S.Nabi, A.Nabi, Wright (Campbell 74’), Roberts, Leko.
Unused subs: Ross, Donnellan, Hallahan.

*Picture by Hannah Castle, Sandwell College HND Photo*

Advertisement block