Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Pulis thanks 'fantastic' Albion fans

2 June 2015

Baggies head coach looks back on challenge

TONY Pulis today thanked Albion fans for their 'fantastic' support as he reflected on his gruelling Tower-to-Tower challenge.

The Baggies head coach was part of a 24-strong team of rowers who arrived at the Eiffel Tower at 7.30am on Monday morning after setting out from Tower Bridge seven days earlier.

All proceeds from the event are going to the Donna Louise Hospice for children.

Pulis' own 'money giving' page has raised more than £7000 for the charity.

In addition, the West Bromwich Albion Supporters Club announced that £855 was raised from the fans' collection at its recent end-of-season dinner, which was attended by Pulis, assistant David Kemp and several first-team players.

The Midlands' football media also chipped in - they were asked to dig deep ahead of Pulis' final pre-match press conference, collecting £65 in total.

The Donna Louise hope to raise in the region of £250,000 in total. 

Pulis said: "I want the Albion fans to know how very grateful I am for their support and for any money they've helped raise - it's absolutely fantastic.

"The Donna Louise is a charity that's very close to my heart - every little bit of money raised goes to helping children and their families in what are very challenging and difficult circumstances.

"If we can make the slightest bit of difference to somebody's life then it will have been worth it."

Pulis - who had previously climbed Mount Kilimanjaro, cycled from John O'Groats to Land's End and run the London marathon - was joined in the boat by comedians Nick Hancock and Hugh Dennis, former footballer Rory Delap, and Olympic rowers Anna Watkins and Debbie Flood.

Speaking about the seven-day challenge, Pulis added: "It was very difficult and something I've never experienced before in my life.

"It got more and more difficult but it was something you had to adapt to.

"Two hours on, two hours off, two hours became a routine during the week.

“There were some tough moments along the way but it’s unbelievable to have finished and the most important thing is raising money for the hospice.

"We finally arrived safe and sound on Monday at 7.30am. Now I'm looking forward to spending time with my family."

To support Tony and the Donna Louise hospice, please click here

Advertisement block