Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 13/12/2015

13 December 2015

Albion hit by unlucky last-gasp leveller

  • Olsson scores his first of the season only for Origi to claim late draw
  • Dawson levels after Henderson opens scoring
  • Olsson has first-half goal controversially chalked off 
  • Attendance: 44,147
  • Albion Star Man: Jonas Olsson
ALBION were denied an Anfield victory courtesy of a late Divock Origi goal.

Jonas Olsson looked to have scored the winner – after being denied a first-half goal – after Craig Dawson had equalised Jordan Henderson’s opener.

It was a resilient performance by Tony Pulis’ side, who were worthy of their win, only to be undone by an injury time leveller by substitute Origi, whose shot took a deflection, wrong-footing Boaz Myhill.

Claudio Yacob missed the game due to a family bereavement, which handed Jonny Evans another run-out in midfield. Coming in for the injured Stephane Sessegnon was Craig Gardner.

Albion started brightly but it was Liverpool who had the first sniff at goal. Clyne's shot wasn't about to trouble Myhill, but was heading towards Benteke - only for Gareth McAuley to slide in with a brilliant clearance.

At the other end, a clever move forced Mignolet into his first action of the game. Fletcher's backheel was collected by Gardner, who turned into the box and saw his angled shot parried by the Liverpool keeper.

Liverpool took the lead in the 22nd minute when Jordan Henderson swept in Lallana's knock down from close range. 

The Baggies were level eight minutes later. Mignolet failed to collect Brunt's corner. The ball bounced around in the box, with Dawson quickest to react from close range.

And then came the controversy. Albion thought they had claimed an equaliser through Olsson, who was quickest to pounce onto a first-half injury time free-kick. As the players celebrated in front of the Kop, Craig Pawson and his assistant referee reviewed the goal and disallowed it.

The Reds reshuffled, with Ibe replacing Philppe Countinho for the final 20 minutes or so.

And yet it was Albion who struck next. Brunt's corner once against found the head of Jonas Olsson. This time there was no denying the Swede his first of the season.

The afternoon ended early for Lovren, who was forced off with a bad injury. Origi replaced the stricken Reds man.  Liverpool were close to levelling in the 80th minute when Lallana burst through but couldn't beat Myhill.
Rondon nearly made it three one in the 87th minute when he was played in by McClean, but dragged his effort wide.

Origi brought Liverpool level in the sixth minute of injury time.

ALBION: Myhill; Dawson, McAuley, Olsson, Evans; Brunt, Fletcher (c), Gardner, McClean; Morrison; Rondon (Lambert 90+3)

Subs: Lindegaard; Chester, Gnabry, McManaman, Berahino, Lambert, Anichebe

LIVERPOOL: Mignolet, Clyne, Skrtel, Lovren (Origi 78), Moreno, Can, Milner, Henderson, Lallana (Firmino 86), Coutinho (Ibe 71), Benteke

Subs: Bogdan, Toure, Firmino, Lucas, Allen

Referee: Craig Pawson (South Yorkshire)

Advertisement block