We log important dates and milestones
Born - May 13, 1942 in Eastwood, Nottinghamshire.
Joined Notts County - Signed amateur terms with the club two days before his 15th birthday despite interest from Coventry City, before turning professional in 1959 as a 17-year-old.
First Notts County appearance - September 23, 1961 v Reading at Elm Park in the old Third Division. The Royals ran out 4-2 winners.
First Notts County goal – September 8, 1962 v Colchester United in a 2-2 draw.
Joined Albion – September 30, 1964, for a reported £25,000.
First Albion appearance – September 30, 1964 v Leicester City (A) in a 4-2 defeat. Jeff played just hours after joining the club.
First Albion goal – October 10, 1964 v Wolverhampton Wanderers (H). Jeff scored twice in a resounding 5-1 derby win over Wolves.
First Albion hat-trick – September 4, 1965 v Sheffield Wednesday (H). Jeff bagged his first treble for the club in a comfortable 4-2 win over The Owls at The Hawthorns.
First England cap – May 7, 1969 v Wales at Wembley. Jeff started as England recorded a 2-1 win over their neighbours.
Left Albion – May, 1974. Jeff joined South African side Hellenic FC.
Joined Dunstable – July, 1974.
Joined Weymouth – July, 1975 for £15,000.
Joined Atherstone – October, 1976.
Joined Hillingdon Borough on loan – February, 1977.
Retired from football – Jeff called time on an illustrious career in May, 1977, to run his own industrial cleaning business.
- When he was ten, Jeff’s school team once won a game 22-0. You’ll never guess who scored 18 times that day…
- Jeff wore the famous number nine shirt for the first time on his second appearance for the club, an away fixture at Sheffield United which ended in a 1-1 draw, on October 3, 1964.
- Jeff won the League Cup with Albion in 1966. He scored six goals in the competition, including a hat-trick against Coventry at The Hawthorns in the 4th round replay, and our solitary strike in a 2-1 defeat at West Ham in the first-leg of the final.
- Jeff scored his 50th league goal for Albion on October 7, 1967 in a 2-1 win at Fulham.
- Jeff scored the winning goal in the 1968 FA Cup for Albion against Everton. It remains to this day, Baggies’ last success in the competition. Jeff also completed the astonishing feat of scoring in every single round.
- Jeff scored his 100th league goal for Albion in a 3-0 home victory over Sheffield Wednesday on November 22, 1969.
- Jeff was not only Albion’s top scorer in the 1969/70 season, but Division One’s leading marksman, with a total of 25 goals.
- Jeff’s final goal for Albion came in a 2-2 draw with Bristol City at The Hawthorns on February 23, 1974.