CRAIG Gardner was Albion's first summer signing of 2014 - arriving on a Bosman free transfer from Sunderland.
* The midfielder is under contract until 2017, with a 12-month option in the clubs favour.
* Solihull-born Gardner has the distinction of being one of the few footballers to feature for Albion, Aston Villa and Birmingham City.
* He emerged through the youth ranks at Villa and made his professional debut for the club on Boxing Day 2005.
* He made 80 Villa appearances, scoring six goals, before he completed a cross-Second City switch to St Andrew's in January 2010 for a fee in the region of £3million.
* Gardner went on to enjoy 18 months at St Andrew’s and played an integral part in the club’s 2011 League Cup triumph - scoring the winner in the semi-final against West Ham.
* He moved to Sunderland for around £6million in summer 2011.
* Gardner, older brother to Villa midfielder Gary, was also capped 14 times for England Under-21s and was part of the squad which finished runners-up at the UEFA European U21 Championship in 2009.
* By the end of the 2014/15 campaign, 'Gards' had clocked 38 appearances for Albion, grabbing three goals.