Skip to main content

Mulumbu says sorry

PUBLISHED

22:44 30th March 2013

Boss also urges players to control their frustrations

YOUSSOUF Mulumbu has apologised for his stoppage-time red card at West Ham – as Steve Clarke urged his players to keep their emotions in check.

Mulumbu cut an increasingly frustrated figure at the Boleyn Ground as the Baggies desperately tried to regain a foothold in a game they eventually lost 3-1.

The DR Congo international saw the red mist in the 95th minute when, after being fouled by Gary O’Neil, he kicked the ball at the Hammers midfielder.

His dismissal has earned him a three-match ban and he will be sidelined for the forthcoming fixtures against Arsenal, Newcastle and Southampton.

Mulumbu used his official Twitter account, which has attracted over 32,000 followers, to make his feelings known.

He tweeted: “I'm really sorry...It doesn't look like me...Not a good example for the kids and all the WBA supporters.”

Mulumbu will not be available again until May 4, when Albion entertain Wigan, and Clarke admits he will be a huge loss.

“I think Youssouf thought he had been clipped and he overreacted,” said the head coach.

“After the game, I said to the group in general that they have to control their frustrations.

“It was a frustrating afternoon for us. We chased the game for most of it.

“We also had some chances but you could feel the frustration building because we didn’t get the game back to 2-1 to give ourselves a chance of getting something from it.

“But you have to control yourself. The red card didn’t affect the game today because it happened so late but it will affect the group for the next three games.

“We’ve got a small squad and Youssouf will be a big loss to us.”

Clarke added: “I didn’t have time to speak to Youssouf in the dressing room.

“The time to have a chat is probably tomorrow morning.

“If you want a reason for what he did, I would guess it was frustration.”

    Related Articles