Skip to main content


16:57 28th January 2012

ALBION'S FA Cup adventure was ended at the fourth-round stage by Simeon Jackson's late winner.

The Norwich sub robbed Craig Dawson in the Baggies' penalty area in the 85th minute before firing past a helpless Ben Foster - earning the Canaries their first-ever FA Cup success against the hosts.

It was somewhat rough on Roy Hodgson's side, who enjoyed the lion's share of possession throughout the tie.

Earlier on, Marc-Antoine Fortune's well-taken 54th-minute leveller had cancelled out Grant Holt's 35th-minute opener.

Joe Mattock made his first start in over four months as one of three changes. Gonzalo Jara Reyes and Dawson were also recalled, with Nicky Shorey, Jonas Olsson and Gareth McAuley making way.

Fifteenth-placed Albion sit six places below Norwich in the Barclays Premier League table, a situation that was partly created by the Canaries' victory at The Hawthorns only two weeks ago.

And, just like a fortnight ago, the Baggies started on the front foot and enjoyed plenty of possession in the City half - but goalscoring chances were non-existent during the opening 20 minutes.

However, Albion could not have gone closer to scoring than they did in the 21st minute.

A terrific move that started on the edge of the Baggies box culminated in Simon Cox threading in the overlapping Jara Reyes down the right. Jerome Thomas caught the Chilean international's far-post centre perfectly on the half-volley, only to see his effort cannon off the bar and bounce to safety.

Four minutes later, Graham Dorrans teed up skipper-for-the-day James Morrison, who dragged a right-footed shot well wide from 25 yards.

Then, on 29, Fortune, who had performed so well at Stoke a week earlier, flicked a near-post header inches over the bar.

Norwich finally enjoyed a threatening moment on the half-hour mark when Gabriel Tamas' clearance cannoned off Anthony Pilkington and flew into the Albion box. Thankfully, Dawson just beat Holt to the ball to deny the visitors a fortuitous opener.

Albion were soon back on the attack and Dorrans curled a terrific 20-yard free-kick over the Norwich wall - but straight at keeper Jed Steer.

However, totally against the pattern of play, Norwich broke the deadlock on 35.

Albion were exposed down their left flank and from Elliott Bennett's inch-perfect centre, the unmarked Holt swept home from close range.

The Baggies regrouped and Steer did well to hold onto Cox's low 15-yard drive at his near-post after the ex-Swindon man had played a clever one-two with Thomas.

After a swift counter-attack, Norwich won a 42nd-minute corner and the towering Zak Whitbread planted a firm downward header straight at Foster from Pilkington's centre.

Albion managed to record one final effort at goal before the half-time whistle, with Dorrans miscuing wide from just inside the box from Morrison's lay off.

Hodgson made a change at half-time, with McAuley coming on for the injured Jara Reyes.

The Baggies were first to threaten after the break and Whitbread did well to divert over Cox's goalbound effort at point-blank range from Thomas' low centre.

But Albion were deservedly level in the 54th minute.

From Mattock's lofted ball down the left-hand channel, Thomas got the better of Russell Martin and skipped along the bye-line before pulling it back to Fortune, who finished smartly first-time from 15 yards.

It was Fortune who set up Albion's next chance on 61, but Cox could only shoot weakly at Steer from the tightest of angles.

A minute later, Norwich finally recorded their first effort on goal of the half, but Pilkington was well off target from distance.

Albion continued to ask the most questions and Fortune saw a goalbound volley blocked in the box from a Dorrans corner.

And the Brummie Road Enders were baying for a penalty on 74 when Daniel Ayala appeared to grab hold of Fortune in the box.

Foster was called on to make his first real save of the game on 77 when he dived to the foot of his left-hand post to hold an Andrew Crofts 25-yarder which had taken a huge deflection off Dawson.

Foster was also well positioned to deal with Crofts' free header from Adam Drury's cross after McAuley had uncharacteristically gifted City possession.

But disaster struck for the Baggies five minutes from time.

Dawson mis-controlled Mattock's throw-in inside the Albion box and sub Jackson nipped in to fire past Foster.

Albion refused to throw in the towel and sub Shane Long flashed a header across the face of goal after Dawson had nodded Dorrans' corner to the back stick.

The game really came to life in the closing stages, with Foster denying Jackson while, at the other end, Steer kept out efforts from Mattock and Tamas.

ALBION (4-3-3): Foster; Jara Reyes (McAuley HT), Tamas, Dawson, Mattock; Morrison (c), Mulumbu, Dorrans; Cox, Fortune (Long 79), Thomas (Tchoyi 71). Subs not used: Fulop (gk), Thorne, Odemwingie, Olsson.

NORWICH (4-4-1-1): Steer; Martin, Ayala, Whitbread, Drury; Bennett, Fox, Crofts, Pilkington (Lappin 75); Hoolahan (Jackson 65), Holt (c) (Wilbraham 65). Subs not used: Ruddy (gk), Johnson, Barnett, Tierney.

GOALS: ALBION - Fortune (54). NORWICH - Holt (35), Jackson (85).

BOOKINGS: ALBION - Thomas (foul 30). NORWICH - Holt (foul 60), Martin (foul 69), Ayala (foul 82).

REFEREE: M Oliver (Northumberland).


ALBION STARMAN: Youssouf Mulumbu.
    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.