Skip to main content


21:44 15th September 2009

JONAS Olsson's deadly double saw unbeaten Albion come from behind for the second time in three days to move back to the top of the table.

But Roberto Di Matteo's men far from had it their own way en route to racking up an impressive seventh win in eight games.

Doncaster broke the deadlock after just seven minutes courtesy of Waide Fairhurst's close-range strike - but Olsson's first of the season 13 minutes later restored parity.

The vice-captain settled Albion's nerves after the break by adding a second in the 65th minute.

But 17-year-old sub Chris Wood saved the best for last, opening his Baggies account with a truly stunning strike five minutes from time.

Albion's return to the Championship summit has been a real team effort, with Wood becoming the 13th player to net this term.

Robert Koren was recalled as Roberto Di Matteo rang one change and switched to a 4-4-1-1 formation. Striker Simon Cox made way.

Before the game, The Hawthorns rose as one to observe a minute's silence in memory of Lance Corporal Dale Hopkins, a Smethwick End season ticket holder who was killed a month ago while undertaking a routine security patrol in Afghanistan.

Albion started the game in dominant mood and kept Rovers penned in their own half - but it was the visitors who opened the scoring.

Doncaster have earned a glowing reputation for playing attractive football and their goal was a result of a slick one-two between Fairhurst and John Oster in the box, which resulted in the former tapping into an empty net.

Albion were soon back on the front foot and Youssouf Mulumbu wasn't too far away with a 20-yard rocket which fizzed just over.

The hosts suffered an injury setback in the 11th minute when Saturday's two-goal hero Marek Cech limped off and was replaced by Jerome Thomas.

Moments later, Rovers keeper Neil Sullivan was called into action for the first time when he just managed to get his fist to Thomas' dangerous cross ahead of Roman Bednar.

Sullivan was in the right place at the right time again on 15 to comfortably hold Chris Brunt's downward header from Graham Dorrans' corner.

But the Baggies' pressure finally paid off on 20 when Olsson was left unmarked in the heart of the penalty area to head home Dorrans' corner.

The Baggies were deep in the Doncaster half again moments later and Thomas' pull-back set up a shooting chance for Dorrans, who fired straight at Sullivan from 20 yards.

The men from Yorkshire didn't really threaten again until the 27th minute when Gianni Zuiverloon had to stretch every sinew in his right leg to prevent Oster's centre finding the unmarked Fairhurst.

But Albion took their foot off the gas as the game passed the half-hour mark and Rovers skipper Brian Stock wasn't too far away with a 25-yard grass-cutter.

The visitors suffered an injury setback of their own on 32 when Gareth Roberts had to be replaced by James O'Connor.

But that didn't halt their purple patch and Olsson prevented a certain goal when he got in the way of Martin Woods' 15-yard shot.

Albion gradually got back on track and Sullivan could only stand and watch as Brunt curled a delicious 25-yard free-kick inches wide of his right-hand post.

In first-half stoppage time, Brunt let fly from another set-piece which clipped off the Doncaster wall and flew straight at Sullivan.

The second half opened with two more long range efforts - this time from Doncaster boots.

Woods directed a looping 25-yard effort at Carson before Stock curled a free-kick on the edge of the box just over.

Albion took an age to get going after the break as Doncaster continued to stroke the ball around with confidence.

It wasn't until the hour mark that the Baggies recorded their next effort on goal, with the tricky Thomas seeing his 18-yard drive deflected wide by Adam Lockwood's outstretched boot.

It was rough on 'Donny' - but Albion were ahead on 66.

It was déjà-vu from Albion's first goal, with a Dorrans delivery - this time from a left-wing free-kick - again being headed home by Olsson.

The goal settled Albion down and Sullivan was the next keeper called into action, comfortably gathering Bednar's speculative 30-yard volley.

And sub Wood wasted a gilt-edged chance to wrap up the points on 75 when he headed Zuiverloon's pinpoint cross over from ten yards.

Doncaster almost made the Baggies pay during the closing stages, with Lockwood and Billy Sharp both passing up good chances.

But the points were secure five minutes from time when Wood bustled past three defenders before beating Sullivan all ends up with a 25-yard cracker which nestled in the top left-hand corner.

What a way to score your first professional goal in English football!

The New Zealand international now had a taste for it and tested Sullivan with a 20-yard drive.

The Doncaster keeper then had to be alert to hold onto Koren's snapshot from Bednar's lay-off as the Baggies finished strongly.

ALBION (4-4-1-1): Carson; Zuiverloon, Martis, Olsson, Mattock; Brunt (Wood 72), Mulumbu, Dorrans, Cech (Thomas 11); Koren; Bednar (Teixeira 90+3). Subs not used: Kiely (gk), Cox, Reid, Barnett.

DONCASTER (4-5-1): Sullivan; Chambers, Shackell, Lockwood, Roberts (O'Connor 32); Spicer, Stock (Wilson 77), Oster (Shiels 62), Woods; Sharp, Fairhurst. Subs not used: Smith (gk), Fortune, Hird, Webster.

GOALS: ALBION - Olsson (20, 65), Wood (85). DONCASTER - Sharp (7).

BOOKINGS: ALBION - Mattock (foul 73), Olsson (dissent 79).

REFEREE: K Wright (Cambridgeshire).



    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.